Monday, September 21, 2009

When God Speaks

One evening, I was listening to my twelve year old son share with me the details of his day. He was upset over a comment one of his friends made about him and was contemplating ending their friendship. His heart was hurting and I was trying to determine what words would bring him comfort. The only thing I could think of was asking my son if he’d pray before making a final decision. He told me when he prays, he doesn’t hear God speak to him.
I kissed him on the head and asked if he would pray one more time, assuring him that our prayers never fall upon deaf ears.
As I thought about our conversation, it occurred to me how often many of us have shared this same sentiment. Do you hear God when He speaks to you?
Truthfully, I didn’t hear God for a long time, although I knew from reading Scripture, He speaks to us all the time. Perhaps I was waiting to hear His voice in the same way Moses did when God spoke through a burning bush. But that’s just it. We want to hear God with our ears and often He doesn’t speak in a way we’re accustomed to. We also want immediate answers and God doesn’t always answer in our time line. Therefore, we turn to friends who are happy to share their advice, but how often does God’s advice differ from the world’s? God’s voice isn’t always audible, but can be heard in the hearts of those who earnestly seek Him.
For example, have you ever regretted saying something after the fact and now you’re feeling guilty? I believe the guilt is God’s way of speaking to our hearts, telling us to ask for forgiveness as He forgives us.
Or perhaps, you’re upset over something, and then realize it’s not worth getting upset over. Maybe this is God telling you to, “Let it go.”
The next day, my son had to face his friend. Once again, this boy was harsh with his words. When my son came home from school, I asked him how he dealt with it. I was waiting to hear his rebuttal remarks or maybe he gossiped behind this boy’s back, building an army of defense. But neither of these things happened. My son chose a different solution. He walked away quietly from the situation. The friendship was more important than engaging in a fight.
That night, as my son and I were saying goodnight, I told him his response was God’s voice speaking to his heart. My son knew in his heart what the right course of action would be. I was so proud of my son for hearing God and most importantly, obeying Him. We all have a track record of knowing what God expects of us, but not always obeying His Word.
Today someone may offend you and there’s even a greater possibility your words will be the wrong response. As we face our daily battles, pray and listen with your heart for God’s guidance and direction. The Apostle Paul stated,

“Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the power of this dark world and against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” (Ephesians 6:12)

When we see our battles from this perspective, God’s voice becomes audible over the noise in our lives. Begin today by seeking God through prayer. What you’ll hear is His quiet still voice speaking to the hearts who earnestly seek Him.

“Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.”
(1Kings 19:11-12)

3 comments:

  1. I find that I'm not often still enough to hear that gentle whisper. When I don't find that carved out time to be still, God finds it for me often in the wee hours of the morning when He awakens me from sleep. How wonderful it is to know that our mighty God is not beyond those quiet and amazing ways that He works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer your blog is uplifting. With all the "stuff" I read on the internet, it is good to have some thoughtful and spiritual contemplation, especially from a friend. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those of us who complain that we do not HEAR God may really be suffering from deafness. By that I mean that selective hearing. Who really wants to hear God when He is reminding us of our part of the covenant? Our part is usually neither popular nor convenient. Only when we decide to truly make Jesus the Lord of our lives do we start to seek to hear, finding that quiet still time of which Liz spoke, but beyond that the confidence to walk in obedience to the gentle whisper.

    ReplyDelete