Sunday, September 16, 2012

God, Why am I Here?

A week ago, one of our closest and dearest friends died unexpectedly in a plane crash. Throughout the week, the family has been surrounded by love as we reflected on the frailty of life. Tom, who died at the age of 53, received one of the most memorable and beautiful services I’ve ever attended. But it wasn’t because of the beautiful flowers or the music that brought us comfort and peace at a time of such devastating loss. In fact, it wasn’t even the surprised appearance of the University of Texas mascot, Bevo, who showed up at the church; yes, this really happened! What left such an impression on my life as well as others was to hear how Tom witnessed to many his great love for Jesus Christ.

A young man stood at the podium and shared amongst the thousands in attendance about how Tom testified his faith in Jesus Christ and how it changed this man’s heart. You could have heard a pin drop as we listened in awe to every word this man shared, professing how Tom had planted the seed of faith. Many of us were humbled upon hearing this story and learning firsthand Tom’s deepest commitment in life was sharing the Good News about Christ. As I sat quietly in the pew, I couldn’t help but shake my head as I wondered how much time have I wasted NOT sharing my faith with others?

Every day is a gift. Every day is a day to be cherished because truthfully we don’t know how many days God has ordained for us to be on the earth. But if we are not living a life centered upon growing God’s Kingdom, then we have to ask ourselves, what are we doing here? What purpose do we have if we’re not sharing the Good News? Do we honestly think attending church is enough? Do we even spend time reading the Bible, or are we too busy checking our updates on Facebook and Twitter?

Every one of us is going to come face to face with our risen Lord. When He asks this simple question, “Why didn’t you bother to tell others about Me?” How are we going to respond? I come across so many individuals who never read the Bible and only attend church for special occasions. Why does spending time in this world seem more significant than spending time with God?

All I know is this. Tom’s legacy has had a profound impact on me and for that I’m truly grateful. Although I am deeply saddened for his passing, I am blown away by his authentic faith. If you’re still wondering what your purpose is in this life, I can sum it up in three words: Further the Kingdom. If you don’t know how to do it, begin by praying for guidance and spending time reading the Bible. Everyone can be used by God. All He's looking for is one who has a gentle, humble heart and a spirit of obedience. Let’s not waste another day without allowing God to use us as His divine vessel.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if all of us were remembered like Tom as a person who proclaimed publically and proudly their faith in Christ? I can’t think of any other way I would want to be remembered.

“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you and know I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, thank you for honing in on what I have been feeling since Tom's death. Yes, he lived his earthly life to the fullest -- much more so than most. More importantly, Tom lived his eternal life fully -- while he was still with us. He knew what the main thing is and he let others know. I want to be like Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful man and what a wonderful question you have put in our minds with your words---Tom was only being the man Christ called him to be, why aren't we doing the same??How well are we listening to those commands he is teaching us to hear???

    ReplyDelete