Monday, October 19, 2009

How Do Christians Survive in Corporate America?

This was one of many insightful questions asked last week during my talk with business students at Texas A&M. Before we address this, let me say what an honor and privilege it was to speak to these students whose wisdom goes beyond what many of us will ever achieve. I’m not talking about their level of knowledge and intellect gained from the textbooks they read. Nor am I referring to the degrees they’re striving to obtain. The wisdom I’m referring to came from their desire to know God deeply and to learn how to live as an example of their faith in the business world. I thought my purpose was to inspire them but when I left the campus that evening, I was the one deeply inspired.
It was simply one of the most humbling moments of my life to be in a room with Christians who strive every day to live as an example of their faith in a secular environment.
So, back to the question; “How does a Christian survive in Corporate America?”
First it’s important to know how deeply God desires each of us to succeed in everything we do, but we must succeed on His terms and not our own. God needs Christians in corporate America, but I’m not talking about the kind of Christian I was when I attended college. Back in those years, God was simply someone whom I spoke with occasionally on Sunday morning. I certainly spent time with Him on Christmas and Easter. But my relationship with God never involved reading Scripture or daily prayer. Jesus Christ was a name I was familiar with, but I certainly didn’t know what His name meant for my life.
As I look back on my life, had I known then what I know today, perhaps many of the mistakes I made would have been avoided.
I shared with the group three basic fundamentals found in the Bible which teach us how to lead a successful business, family, and personal life.
1. Pray: Jesus spent endless hours in prayer. He was God, yet He prayed to the Father for guidance and direction throughout His ministry. We should pray every day especially when we’re confronted with having to make difficult decisions. Many of us have worked for bosses who love to give advice and sometimes it’s helpful. However, there are other bosses whose advice may be questionable. Pray to God for His advice, knowing in our hearts He will never mislead us in anything we do.
2. Remain in the Word: Reading the Bible every day is imperative to knowing God intimately. A college degree may open many doors, however, God’s Wisdom will never be found in a college textbook. Solomon was an exceptional business man. Nehemiah knew how to motivate hundreds of people to rebuild a wall around Israel. David was known as one of the Bible’s greatest kings. Yet none of these leaders will ever be discussed in a college textbook. The Bible is our source for advice on every matter affecting our lives. If you don’t read it, you’ll never gain the wisdom God so graciously has to offer.
3. Last, but certainly not least, never forget who the real CEO of your life is: Never forget Jesus Christ who went before us, sacrificing His life for ours. Bosses may have an impact on our careers, but God has an impact on our lives. God will never tempt us and always desires what’s best for us. His Word remains consistent especially in a world where the only thing that’s consistent is change.

Pray, read the Bible and live a Christ-centered life. These three fundamentals will provide success beyond what the world has to offer.
I also wanted to commend the parents of each of these students whom I was so honored to be with. The values of faith have been instilled in their hearts and I was blessed by each of them. Let’s pray our actions as parents reflect a God-centered life so that by the time our children leave home, the seed of faith has been planted. An education is critical in providing the means to survive in the business world, but a firm Christian foundation is imperative to surviving in this world and most importantly, receiving eternal life.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.”

(Colossians 3:23-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment