Wednesday, August 26, 2009

How do we define our significance?

What roles do titles playing in defining our significance? Do we measure our worth by the titles we wear, or the standards of our faith? Do we fear losing our titles more than we fear God? Only an honest answer can come from our hearts. When we live for the things of this world, the answer becomes very clear. Living for this world means defining our purpose by the world's standards, and not by God's Word.
What is the purpose behind our titles? Is it solely to generate revenue, analyze reports, or manage a team? Sadly to say, I never considered God's role in my business life. In fact, the only time I spoke with God was on Sunday mornings. When Monday came, I never asked God for advice on business matters. I had a team of experts to provide the answers. Then, one day, God humbled me by pointing out, He is the ONLY expert.
Even worse, I allowed my title of Vice President to become more important than the title God had given me of motherhood. My significance was tied to the size of my paycheck and the title on my business card, until the day I didn't have a job or a paycheck. I remember waking up, feeling very insignificant.
We have to remember that our purpose in life may be different than God's purpose for us. I went twenty years without ever considering this notion. Whatever title you have at work, be proud of your accomplishments and work hard. But remember, our titles represent such a small part of a much greater purpose for our lives. God wants everyone to be successful, but it's important to know our success is His blessing upon our lives.
Take a moment today and reflect on everything you have in your life. These are more than gifts, they are blessings given to us by our Creator. God does not define our significance by the titles we wear. God defines significance by the depth of our faith.
Jennifer W. Johnson
Published Author of the book, "What Have You Done For Me Lately?"

5 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I loved your book and will enjoy having it refreshed for me in this blog. God bless you - Shirley Ward

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I could not have said this any better! It's a blessing to know WHO controls your destiny...and we both know that it's not the people that you work for/with. I thank God for my health, strength and family every morning before I get out of bed. I then see to it that my children get off to school--I kiss them and my husbband, tell them I love them and to have a great day! After I've done all of the above, THEN I go to work for my paycheck! There was a time when I thought I'd be "somebody" if I had a certain title and made a certain amount of money but not anymore. A sound set of values and the faith to know and love Jesus is all I need! Thank you for sharing your story and may God continue to bless you and your family. ~Kim Hicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good words for me today. All of my life has been focused on a "title." Without one and being humbled of late I have struggled--not knowing who or what I am. I do know that I am more than my business card and that God does indeed have a plan--but I continue to fight and not listen. Thanks for the good reminder that God's love is the only ever present and sure thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your faith and the wonderful talent of writing that God has given to you. You ask the questions we all need to be asking ourselves and you reminded us all just how great God's love is for us. I'm so thrilled that this blog will also be a tool God will use to further His kingdom through the words He will lead you to write!! Bless you and I think you will be amazed at how God will bless this effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put your book cover on my blog with a link to your blog. Hope you don't mind me sharing that way with some of my friends. :))

    ReplyDelete